Sunday, January 13, 2008

book review: Velvet Elvis

I thoroughly enjoyed this book by Rob Bell. Rob Bell has become one of the most influential voices of the church, called heretic by some, and revolutionary by others. Notably he is the founding pastor of Mars Hill Church and creator of Nooma (take a look….its worth it). One of the things I found most valuable was Bell’s understanding of Jewish culture (especially in the time of Jesus). It made me realize how much is in the gospel that I have just glanced over without truly grasping the cultural and historical significance that’s critical to its meaning and intent. Another example that we only truly begin to understand something when we define and study its context. Its completely changed how I look at parts of the Biblical story. I highly recommend.

No comments: